Alzheimer's & Dementia - Make Hospital Stays & Discharge Easier
One in 10 people (10%) age 65 and older has Alzheimer's dementia (2020 Alzheimer's Disease Facts and Figures, Alzheimer's Association). More than 50% of hospital patients with pre-existing dementia will experience delirium, which is often missed due to confusion with their dementia.
ComForCare Home Care Makes Hospital Stays
and Discharge Easier for Patients with Dementia.
Patients with dementia require a unique treatment approach and are
at high risk for delirium.² The negative impacts of hospitalization can be
minimized by considering:³
• Providing private rooms and limiting time in the emergency room
• Orienting patients to the environment and engaging in therapeutic
activities when able
• Ensuring staff members are aware of a patient’s dementia
• Understanding that patient agitation may be the result of
• Promoting good sleep and encouraging families to bring familiar objects
• Working with ComForCare for supplemental staffing and sitter services